Sunday, March 27, 2011

Building the cradle



I have been quite busy the last few weeks, but I decided I needed to make working on my motorcycle car a priority, so I went down to the Black Hole and bought this rolling steel frame to make a cradle to hold my car while I am building it. I had some 2"x1" rectangular tube that I would use to make the rolling cradle. This is me and my finished cradle.




At this point I had cut all the tube and started fitting it. The tube is attached to the rolling frame using 1/2-13 bolts. My hole hawg worked great for drilling those holes.




Getting the first longitudinal member welded in place.



I am now getting ready to weld the second longitudinal member in place.



Here is the finished product. Right now it is holding the swing arm from an ATV I bought at the flea market in San Diego for $15.00 I have the shock for it somewhere, but I'll have to look a little. I decided I would used this swing arm to try and speed up the initial assembly. I am glad to have this because everything should more or less be at working height at this point. I think it turned out pretty nice. Later I may add some more members to better triangulate it, but for now I am going to leave it as is until I see it is necessary. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to go get some more steel and start the chassis.

No comments:

Post a Comment