Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Pig Roast of Fall 2012

Every so often I get some notion in my head that I have to bring to fruitiion.  That was the case about a year and a half ago.  For some reason I got the idea that I should roast a pig.  My original plan was to find a butcher and get the pig and roast him in a hole and have a party.  I told a firend of mine and she was very pessimistic about the whole thing.  She said - "you can't roast a pig, you have to kill it and skin it and dig a hole...,:  Well I thought to myself I wasn't really planning on doing all of that but now that you mention it that could be fun too.  So I decided I would be involved with the whole operation from live pig to dinner.  It took awhiel because my job keeps me busy and I had to coordinate with my friend who was going to teach me the skinning and roasting but we finally did it.  Here are the pictures. 


 Here is the pig to be roasted.  I was told he was really mean and did not grow to expectations so he was going to get eaten. 
 Here is the pig post skinning and gutting. 

 Halving the pig. 



  This is the bacon.


 The back of the pig.
 The leg we will roast.
 Chickens on the ranch.  They will probably get eaten later. 
 Canning. 
 Starting to dig the hole. 
 The dirt was really rocky so we had to use a digging bar. 



 Digging the hole. 
 A chicken plucker. 

 A scooper to move the ash.

 preparing the fire
 Burlap sacks
 Here is the pig wrapped in his foil. 
 Here are the embers ready for the pig. 
 We used some colored.  

 We out an extra fire on top just to be sure. 


 Digging up the food. 
 Pulling the bags out of the whole. 

 Food coming out of the burlap. 

 The meat was so soft I could take it right off with a plastic fork.  It just fell apart. 
 Some of my students enjoying the cookout.




 Maybe this goat will get roasted next. 

 Now I am wondering if I should try to roast a pig on every continent.  Europe or Asia first?














I am wondering if now I should roast a pig on every contient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment