Sunday, January 20, 2013

Have you met your doppelgänger?




This is a music video I came across awhile ago.  I thought it was really pertinent to this discussion because I like to think of it as a case of an ENTJ-ENTJ meeting.  The dragon in the movie symbolizes an ENTJ because he is scary looking.  For some reason many people are scared of ENTJs.  I have been told this my whole life and apparently it is a phenomenon common to ENTJs.  I do not really understand why this is because I feel friendly, but apparently I am not perceived as such.  The dragon in this story is also friendly.  He wants to be friends with the people in the town, but everything he does to show goodwill gestures go wrong and is misunderstood.  As a result, the towns deploys the military to the dragon's island to blow him up.  They find a very sad dragon when they arrive and they proceed to kill him.  At the end the general in charge of killing the dragon shoots the dragon's eye ball and sees the statue of friendship the dragon had made as a present to the town.  The general, who is also almost certainly also ENTJ, immediately recognizes the mistake he has made and he is probably sad he accidentally killed a kindred spirit, because he also knows what it feels like to be misunderstood and perceived as scary. 

One of the most interesting aspects of learning about personalities is coming to the discovery that there are people like me out there.  I always thought everyone else seemed quite a bit different than me.  For whatever reason since I have been in high school I have had quite a few INTJ friends and even with them I could tell there were similarities, but still some significant differences.  Then one day I tested a person I knew only as an acquaintance, and I was surprised to find this person was an ENTJ like myself.  As time went on I discovered a few other acquaintances of mine were also ENTJ.  Then as I studied other ENTJs more and I got better at identifying them.  It was really interesting to see what people like myself were like.  Now that I know a little better what I am looking for it is almost like looking in a mirror when I see another ENTJ.  One of the biggest things is that I can much better understand why people might perceive ENTJs as scary or cold.  Actually one of the most shocking discoveries for me was that Eric Cartman on South Park is ENTJ.  I really do not care for that character, but when I found he was ENTJ I could totally see how I might do things very similar that I did not like and those are things I might need to work on.  Another good example is St. Paul.  I really did not care for St. Paul for most of my life.  Not so much because of his personality, he just seemed like an interloper to me.  Anyways a few years ago I was reading about him talking about his adventures and I warmed up to him a little.  Then I discovered he was probably ENTJ.  He was almost definitely some kind of Choleric and the ENTJ is the Choleric-Choleric.  As I read some of the stories I could see it.  For instance even when he was a prisoner in the boat the guards looked to him for leadership.  It may seem weird, but this sort of thing happens to me sometimes.  I remember there were times in college where people who had decades more experience would start coming to me asking for advice.  Anyways, since this happened I am much more friendly with St Paul.  I am looking forward to meeting him.  Actually I think God the Father is probably ENTJ too and that is one reason I am looking forward to meeting him. In general I find my fellow ENTJs are pretty friendly.  We may look rough on the outside, but often we are soft on the inside.  Also we get alot done together and we are really interesting to talk to and we are all a bit on the adventurous side to some degree.  That is nice too :-)

Anyways, my feeling is you can learn alot by meeting people similar to yourself.  For people that are SJ or SP this is probably easy.  But for Ns it is probably more difficult, and for NTs more difficult still.  Another suggestion I have for NTs is that we are all pretty rough people and should just forgive each other if we make each other mad and let it go.  Many of us only mean well but sometimes we can really push people.  Even each other.  We may be low on feelings compared to most people but we do have them.  It is so easy for us to mess up social interactions even when we mean well.  There is only so many of us and we have alot to offer one another.  

I would be curious to know how other personality types perceive their own kind. 







No comments:

Post a Comment