Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Stairway to Heaven: An ode to the Virgin Mary


A few months ago our young adult group was meeting and we were discussing Catholic music and I could not help but bring up one of my favorite songs about the Virgin Mary... Stairway to Heaven.  Now immediately this started a bit of a controversy.  I heard all the usual clichĂ© things... The whole band was totally high while they made that album, it has the devil talking in it when you play it backwards, etc. etc.  Well I have heard it played backwards and the whole devil thing is a pretty big stretch if you ask me.  And yes the members of Led Zeppelin were probably totally high when they wrote this song.  Interestingly if you read any books written by exorcists they like to comment that drug use is one good way to get possessed.  Well along that vein I do not see why the Holy Spirit could not also have some influence on a person when they were in a mentally compromised state.  It is not something I would recommend, but I have known God long enough to know that he plays by his own rules, and does whatever he wants.  If he wants to he can inspire Led Zeppelin to make a song about the Virgin Mary... Which is exactly what it looks like "Stairway to Heaven" is to me.  Now its widely reported these guys were influenced by Lord of the Rings which was written by a practicing Catholic.  You definitely see some of the LOR imagry in there, but I am going to ignore that for now.  The multiple interpretations of this song are part of what makes it interesting

The song is chock full of imagery related to the Virgin Mary and Christianity.  It is blatantly explicit at times.  It's not clear to me how anyone who is familiar with Mary could miss it.  Regardless I have gotten mostly a skeptical response for my observations, so I am going to go through the lyrics and spell it out.  Now this is a highly poetic song.  If you don't like what I see just forget it.  There are more important things in life to worry about.  My primary motivation in writing this is to give a few more people an outlook on this song that they may not have experienced before.  Here we go...




Lyrics to Stairway to Heaven

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven




There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure




'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings





In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven




Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder



There's a feeling I get when I look to the west




 


And my spirit is crying for leaving

 


In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it really makes me wonder



And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason


And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter


If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen









Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder


Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know



The piper's calling you to join him


Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?



And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold








And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last



When all are one and one is all, yeah



To be a rock and not to roll



And she's buying a stairway to heaven

My Interpretation:

This is talking about the hope Christians are expected to have.  The lady buying the stairway to heaven refers to Mary obtaining graces for us as a rest of her intersession.  Some say Jesus cannot refuse anything Mary asks of him.  This is why if "the stores are all closed, with a word"  she can get what she wants.  Think wedding at Cana.  



The “sign on the wall,” refers to things like the law, the Bible, the Church, the Prophets, natural law, etc, etc,


The two meanings here can refer to a number of things.  The concept of mystery is at the core of Christianity.  It could also refer to different people responding to different methods of communication. 




 This is just a generally philosophical statement.  No need to constrain it with my interpretation.  Come up with your own.  Mine has to do with self-doubts and questioning. 


The constant reference to wonder I interpret at the highest level as wonder about God and a yearning to know him better

I am going to postulate this refers to western civilization which Christianity had a major role in, but there could very well be other interpretations that are more interesting.   I am open to comments. because I think my interpretation here could use more thought. 



This refers to us and the innate longing we have for things bigger than ourselves.  To become better.
 

I think this refers to generally mystical things like looking for signs.  There are probably better ways to interpret this out there.  I will keep thinking about it. 




If we all get on board with Jesus’ message we will be led to reason.  Jesus is the piper. 


Basically this is a poetic way of saying that if we persevere we will experience eternal joy. 


My interpretation of this is that the “bustle in the hedgerow” is a person experiencing the discomfort and confusion and excitement brought on by conversion from a sinful life to a life of striving to follow God’s law.  The “spring clean” can be thought of confession and conversion.   The “May queen” is an explicit reference to Mary.  It is interesting to note too that the temo of the music changes here too.  I think this is to echo the discomfort and excitement.

This is a clear reference to the call for conversion.  In Catholicism there is always time to repent until you are dead.  This makes me wonder too. 



The head is humming could be any number of things, a person’s conscious, the promptings of grace, personal feelings and thoughts about things bigger than yourself. 


The piper is once again Jesus calling you. 


 The lady is once again the Virgin Mary.  The stairway alludes to grace which is the path to holiness.  The “whispering wind” is an explicit reference to the Holy Sprit.   


 As we go through our lives the sins (shadows) can just add up and add up.  It can lead a person to despair.  But Mary is there to help us.  She helps inspire Hope.  No matter how damaged things become.  In the end everything will come to resolution. (I also think the music changes dramatically here to emphasize the importance that Hope is called for in spite of our shortcomings and the suffering of the world.)



If you quiet your thoughts and feelings so your heart .  The “tune” is a relationship with the Trinity. 


When all members of the communion Saints are united in the Body of Christ. 

This brings up a lot of imagery.  To persevere in Faith, Hope, and Love, Peter is the “Rock” of the Church.  It could be thought of as a “baptism” of rock music. 

Of course she is ;-)

I found the lyrics for Stairway Here:

9 comments:

  1. Thank you brother - it is the way of the world that truth is hidden before it's eyes but God will still find a way to find our hearts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent some time on the net tonight looking for this type of analysis. I think you've nailed it. Well done.

    Mary is the beautiful lady that is always there for us. The song evokes that interpretation if you are open to it. It is a big song with a global reach. Christians, in particular Catholics, believe that Mary is the Mother of God. Ergo she is the mother of all humanity as well. Many people relate to this even though they are not Christian.

    Whilst I haven't seen many people writing on the net to the extent you have interpreted the song apropos Mary I have heard a few Catholic friends express similar views ever since the early 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I interpreted the "piper" as the devil, but it could also mean Jesus. The lyrics "with a word she can get what she came for" to me means "pray,pray,pray" she said in her appearances , especially at Fatima. "There are two paths you go by" means one path is to eternal damnation and the other is the path to Heaven. You still have some time to choose to change your life or "the road you are on". "Spring clean" for the "May Queen"....an interesting note here is that her 1st appearance at Fatima was May 13th, 1917, she said to the seers "I am from Heaven". "There was a lady we all know"...what Christian hasn`t heard of Mary ?? "Who shines white light and wants to show". The three shepherd children at Fatima described her as being made of all white light. Just my interpretation, but pretty close to yours. I find it fascinating actually, because I`m sure they were not thinking of interpretations like this when the song was written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed but it is still about the Blessed Virgin Mary. Paul Walsh Esq a proud Catholuc Jesus Mary worshipper.

      Delete
  4. I am 100 percent sweet Jesus certain stairway to heaven is about the Blessed Virgin Mary the meek and humble bandaid I'd the Lord be it done to me according to your word. That saved repententant sinners luke me and I cry sweet tears of joy whenever I hear this beautiful song. Best song written ever. Serbian Jesus and Mary. Amen Paul Walsh esq Irish catholic and Jewish too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary is the handle is of the Lord Serviam Jesus and Mary. Got it planet earth? Paul Walsh Esq 100 percent Irish Catholuc and proud that I am. I say the Rosary as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're on the same page. I am Catholic and familiar with Fatima the Virgin Mary her position in the world. I had a slightly different thought pattern on a couple of the versus but words sometimes have two meanings right? But all on the same page. Well said. Glad to find your post. On another note Led Zeppelin's original version is epic however Heart's performance at the Kennedy Honors was almost like being in a church. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your overall interpretation is correct, but you misinterpreted most of it. The woman in buying drugs, she is looking for redemption in all the wrong places. The nature and may queen and piper references are about new age and pagan beliefs that modern people are looking to for deliverance, but they are saying those are wrong and bogus. Once you get to the part about two paths to choose and a woman we all know THEN it is talking about Mary and calling people to religion, tradition, etc for guidance and salvation. The song is about contrasting the modern world with the traditional.

    ReplyDelete