Saturday, February 5, 2011

First successful soup pour with a homemade double boiler



After a little Internet research and a trip to the thrift store I made my own double boiler with a $5 crock pot, a tin can, some old nuts and some wire. Here it is in action melting some soap down for a pour




Here is the soap after it started to melt. It appears to me that soap is not very heat conductive. It takes a long time for fat soap chunks to melt. It seems to really help to have the soap shredded up before melting.



After the soap was melted I poured it into my mold. It is pretty viscous. This is very different from the paraffin wax I used before. That stuff was basically as runny as water when it was melted. This soap is more of a paste. After it cooled I noticed it had significantly less shrinkage than the wax as well. I did a little bit of experimentation with adding a sprue to my last mold, but it does not look necessary with the soap.



Here is a slightly cleaned up image of my first cast soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment